Wedding in Italy Regulations

  • Specifics for UK Citizens
  • Specifics for US Citizens
  • Specifics for Citizens of Eire (Republic of Ireland)
  • Specifics For Australian Citizens
  • Specific for Canadians
  • Other Countries
  • Two Hour No-Hassle Approval
Specifics for UK Citizens

NOTE: For British nationals living abroad (NOT living in the UK or in Italy), please click on:   and then click on marriage abroad ( ) tool to find out what documents you'll need and the process. NOTE: If you choose to post notice in Italy, you'll normally have to wait at least 10  business days before you can get married. Please contact the British Embassy in Rome to double check how long you need to be in the country before they will issue you with a Nulla Osta

For British Nationals who both reside in the UK, please see procedures below & also click on the British Embassy website Their website continues to provide instructions on the steps to follow for those living in the UK, as well as provide the necessary forms you will need to complete, including the template for the Statutory Declaration -

There is also a handy video which gives clear instructions on how to proceed with getting a CNI in the UK for your marriage in Italy -

When both parties are British nationals and both are resident in the UK
You cannot start the documentation process more than 6 months before your wedding date, or 3 months if you are resident in Scotland.
There are 4 simple steps that each British national, resident in the UK must follow to get the right paperwork for marrying in Italy.

Step 1 - Certificate of No Impediment (CNI)

You both need to obtain what's called a Certificate of No Impediment (CNI) which is issued in the UK.

To do this you must both give notice of marriage to your local registry office. After your notice has been posted for the required period you will each be issued with a "Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage", signed and dated by your local Registrar. This should take around 28 days.

It is essential that the names you give to the Registrar, which will appear on your Certificates of No Impediment, are exactly the same as written in your passports. For example, Jim Harris on the Certificate, and James Harris-Ford on your passport might mean that the Italian authorities will reject your paperwork and refuse to allow the marriage to go ahead. Please take your passport with you to the Registry Office, just to be absolutely certain.

Step 2 - The Statutory Declaration

While you are waiting for your Certificates of No Impediment you should make a statutory declaration (1 for each of the spouses) before a solicitor or public notary in the UK. (Be sure you write in your full names EXACTLY as spelled on your passports and your CNIs.)

The declaration is required by the Italian authorities and gives additional information that isn't detailed on your Certificate of No Impediment. The solicitor or public notary will charge a fee for this service. Fees will vary so it might be worth shopping around. Download the bi-lingual statutory declaration from the website

Step 3 - Legalizing your documents for the Italian authorities

When you both have your Certificates of No Impediment and you have both made your Statutory Declarations, you need to send them to the Legalization Office for each to be legalized with a Hague Apostille. The Legalization Office will charge for this.

Step 4 - Translation of your Certificate of No Impediment

Once both these documents have been legalized, you will then need to have the legalised Certificates of No Impediment translated. As it will become an Italian legal document it should be translated by a translator based in Italy and sworn before the Italian courts or an Italian Justice of the Peace. Note: Slow Dreams offers translation services for this step - 150E. See Weddings in Italy - cost prices under other Services 

Each British national resident in the UK should have:
  • a Certificate of No Impediment - issued in the UK, legalized in the UK and then translated officially in Italy
  • a bilingual Statutory Declaration legalized in the UK
  • passport
Please note, under Italian law, a woman who has been divorced or widowed and wishes to re-marry in Italy cannot do so until 300 days have passed from the date of her divorce/death of husband. It is possible, however, to apply for a dispensation to this through the Civil Law Courts (Tribunale Civile). Further information should be obtained from the town hall (Comune) of the area where the marriage is to take place and you will probably need to appoint a lawyer.

Once all of the above documents have been prepared, post directly to Slow Dreams wedding planner by a reputable courier (e.g., FedEx) that has a tracking number. Do not post by Royal Mail.

Finally please note that your Certificate of No Impediment will be valid for six months from the date on your English, Welsh or Northern Irish CNI or three months if presenting a Scottish CNI.
Specifics for US Citizens


There are two approval processes for US Citizens:

2 Hour Expedited Process for Acquiring Approval to Marry in Italy
If any of the following criteria apply to you then you should consider the new "no-hassle approval process for US citizens" but only if you are having a civil ceremony. If you want a catholic ceremony, the no-hassle approval process doesn't apply.
  • Either or both have been divorced
  • You live far from the nearest Italian consulate
  • You just want to eliminate much of the hassle

Steps to Get the Normal Approval for Legal Wedding

There are three approvals  you must get: for legal civil wedding:
  • Atto Notorio -   You obtain this from your nearest Italian Consulate or Embassy in the U.S.  This should be done not more than 3 months prior to the wedding.   See below.
  • Nulla Osta - you obtain this from a US consulate in Italy -  See below examples of the process for  the Consulates in Naples (if marrying in the South) and Florence (if marrying in Tuscany).  Ask us about other cities.    This should be done not more than 3 months prior to the wedding.  See below.
  • Local Approval  -  We obtain this for you  -  see below. 

ATTO NOTORIO (steps to be taken in the U.S.)

Step 1 - Collect all necessary documents for each of the couple. These are:
  • Passports or, where appropriate, an Armed Forces identification card, final approval from his/her commanding officer for the marriage
  • An original birth certificate (long form) which shows the names of the parents with Apostille seal.
  • Where appropriate - divorce or annulment decree or death certificate of previous spouse with Apostille seal.
Step 2 - Authenticate Documents

All public records issued outside of Italy and intended for use in Italy must have a "Hague certification," or Apostille, which is a form affixed to a public record by the appropriate government authority.

In The US - Contact the Secretary of State of the U.S. state issuing the document under the terms of a treaty.

Step 3 - Have all documents translated into Italian

All documents (except Passport) must be translated into Italian and the translation must be certified by an Italian Consular Officer before proceeding to Step 4. The addresses of translation services and the Italian Embassy or nearest Consulate can be found in the telephone directory of any large or fairly large city. You may also check with the web site of the Italian Embassy in your country.

Step 4 - Obtain an "Atto Notorio" from the Italian Embassy or Consulate in the U.S.

This document cannot be issued more than 3 months before the wedding otherwise it will expire.

ATTO NOTORIO consists of a meeting in front of the Italian Consulate (in the U.S.) with witnesses in which a declaration relative to the civil status (single, divorced, etc.) of the couple is made. An official document is then drawn up to present for filing purposes here in Italy. You must order the form from the Italian Consulate and/or call and find out when an appointment can be set up for this to be done. Some Consulates require only 2 witnesses per couple (not relatives) to witness the Atto Notorio while others can require up to 4 per person to appear (total of 8). Make sure that you double check on how many witnesses are needed as it varies from location to location.

Bring the originals (with the Apostille) and the translations of your birth certificates (and divorce/annulment decree and/or death certificate of previous spouse, if applicable) to this appointment. Make sure that the Consulate stamps the translations of all the documents, including the Atto Notorio.


Step 5 - Fax us copies of all of your documents at least 6 weeks before the event.

We will check everything and continue the paperwork on this end. Keep the originals and hand carry them when you come to Italy (don't check them at the airport).

Nulla Osta  - Naples 
  • Nulla Osta from US Consulate in NAPLES (for those getting married in Southern Italy)
​​Slow Dreams can accompany you for this process. We have a guide that charges for this service (150E).
NULLA OSTA is the final declaration/sworn statement to be made in Italy before a U.S. Consular Officer at the American Consulate in Naples, Italy stating that according to the laws to which the citizen is subject in their home country there is no obstacle to his or her marriage. All documents must be shown to the Consular Officer at the time of making this declaration. U.S. military personnel must also present final approval of his/her commanding officer for the marriage.
American Consulate - The Notarial section is located at Piazza della Repubblica, Room 201, and the telephone number is, from inside Italy, 081-583-8220081-583-8220/8221 and from outside Italy, you must first dial (011) 39. This service is performed Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon for a fee of  around $50.00 per person (cash only) or equivalent in Euros. This fee is subject to change. This fee is waived for U.S. military personnel serving in the Naples Consular District. Both U.S. citizens MUST schedule an appointment for a notarial service -
  • Authentication of NULLA OSTA at a different location (Prefettura) in Naples
    • After signing the NULLA OSTA at the Consulate in Naples, it MUST be authenticated with an Apostille seal at the Ufficio Legalizzazioni of the Prefettura on the 3rd floor. You must first purchase stamps for each Nulla Osta (EUR 16.00 per each U.S. citizen) - costs of stamps subject to change.
The Ufficio Legalizzazioni of the PREFETTURA in Naples is situated in VIA VESPUCCI and is open on MONDAYS; WEDNESDAYS and THURSDAYS from 9:30 a.m. - 12:00 noon
Note: the easiest way to reach the Prefeturra from the Consulate is by taxi. It will take approximately 15 minutes. 

VERY IMPORTANT: Your full name must be written in the same way on PASSPORTS, ATTO NOTORIO and NULLA OSTA.

Fax us copies of all of your documents at least 6 weeks before the event. 

We will check everything and continue the paperwork on this end. Keep the originals and hand carry them when you come to Italy (don't check them at the airport).

Nulla Osta  - Florence

Nulla Osta from US Consulate in FLORENCE (for those getting married in Tuscany).  
Please note that you may need to spend 2 nights in Florence in order to get the sworn statement (Nulla Osta) because the marriage office at American Consulate in Florence only takes appointments on Tuesdays and Thursdays (9 - 12 noon).  The Consulate does not accept appointments far in advance - you must wait 1 month before your wedding date to make appointment.          
Then you must go to a different location - Prefettura in Florence to get the Nulla Ostas authenticated - Monday – Friday (9– 11 a.m.)  & on Thursdays (2 - 4 p.m.) except Holidays
  • Note:  If you get your Nulla Ostas on Tuesday, then you need to go Wednesday morning to this office - it is very important that you arrive NO LATER THAN 8:30 as there could be a long queue outside of the office waiting for them to open.  Once the doors open, you need to get a number from the machine and wait to be called to authenticate your Nulla Ostas.  They accept so many numbers per day.  If you get your Nulla Ostas on Thursday, you could get them authenticated on Thursday afternoon before they close at 4:00, it is doable  or you will have to go back Friday morning no later than 8:30 to get in the queue.
  • This whole process in Florence may take a total of 2 days.  


Getting Approval from The Local Town in Italy 
  • For outdoor weddings (civil or non-catholic religious) - Just the two of you will appear at the town hall with two witnesses (local residents known to the mayor - supplied by Slow Dreams) with all required original documents described above. The mayor or registrar will conduct a brief and informal ceremony (dress can be be informal but respectful). The mayor or minister will then meet you later (hours or days) at the venue you have chosen with Slow Dreams. He will then conduct a full Italian marriage ceremony in front of your guests. Slow Dreams will provide witnesses and translator for both the town and outdoor ceremonies - see ceremony packages.
  • For town-hall weddings (civil) - You will appear with your guests at the town hall with two witnesses (local residents known to the mayor - supplied by Slow Dreams) with all required original documents described above. The mayor or registrar will conduct a full Italian civil marriage ceremony. Slow Dreams will provide witnesses and translator for both the town and outdoor ceremonies
  • For Catholic Weddings - Click here.

Specifics for Citizens of Eire (Republic of Ireland)

See civil wedding regulations and on-line booking process at:

Religious Ceremonies
If a religious ceremony is performed by a Roman Catholic priest, a separate civil ceremony is unnecessary but the priest must register the marriage with the Ufficiale di Stato Civile in order for it to be legal. Because of the special Italian requirements applicable to marriage performed by non-Roman Catholic clergymen, the latter usually insist on a prior civil ceremony before performing a religious ceremony in order to ensure the legality of the marriage.
The Church requires the same documents as a civil service, as well as other documents which you should discuss with the church authorities

For further information we advise you to get in contact with the Civil Registrar and the Church of the city or town where the marriage is to take place or the Irish Embassy in Rome:

Embassy of Ireland
Piazza di Campitelli 3
00186 ROMA
Tel. 00 39 06 6979121
Fax 00 39 06 6972354

For information on Church weddings please access the weddings site of the Pontifical Irish College in Rome: (or contact Archbishop's House in Drumcondra, Dublin)
Specifics For Australian Citizens

Australian government representatives cannot perform marriage ceremonies and you cannot get married at an Australian Embassy or Consulate.

  • Before leaving Australia, we strongly recommend that you obtain an Atto Notorio (sworn declaration) from the Italian Embassy or Consulate in the state in which you reside.
  • Make sure you travel with your Australian passport. If you were married before, bring evidence of the termination of your previous marriage.
Please note that a divorced woman who wants to marry again within 300 days of the date of her divorce must contact the local Italian authorities and seek special permission from an Italian magistrate. Otherwise, she must allow the required period of 300 days to elapse. If you are widowed, you must bring the death certificate of your previous spouse. Certificates can be obtained from the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Please note that all certificates including divorce certificates or death certificates certifying termination of your previous marriage MUST be ORIGINALS. Photocopies are not accepted.

In addition to the Atto Notorio, an Australian citizen intending to get married in Italy will need to make a Sworn Declaration (Nulla Osta). This Sworn Declaration must be signed, whether you are single, divorced or widowed, in the presence of an Australian Consular officer at the Australian Embassy in Rome, Via Antonio Bosio 5, Tel:06/8527224606/85272246, (or Australian Consulate-General in Milan: via Borgogna 2 Tel: 02/7767421702/77674217- open Monday to Thursday from 9.00 to 17.00 and Friday from 9.00 to 16.00).

Please contact the Consular Section before attending as an appointment is required in order to obtain the Nulla Osta.

A Nulla Osta literally states that "there are no impediments," or that one is free to marry. The Nulla Osta (Sworn Declaration) is valid for six months and costs the Euro equivalent of A$50.00 per Australian citizen.

Please note that payments can only be made in cash as credit card services are not available at the Australian Embassy.

The Nulla Osta must then be legalised by the Uffico Legalizzazioni of the Prefettura. The details of the Prefettura in Rome are: Viale Ostiense, 131L, 2nd floor, Scala B, Rome - open Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 9:00am-12:00pm. Before going to the Prefettura, you will need to purchase a revenue stamp (marca da bollo) which costs Euro 14,62 (approx.) at a tobacconist (tabaccaio) to take with you.

If you are unable to obtain an "Atto di notoriet per uso matrimonio" (also known as Atto Notorio) from an Italian Consulate in Australia, you may obtain one from the Tribunale Civile in Italy. Below we have provided contact details and opening hours of the Tribunale Civile in Rome, although Atti Notori may be obtained from any Tribunale Civile in Italy.

You may call the Tribunale Civile in Rome to set an appointment at the number below between the hours of 09.00 and 13.00 Monday to Friday.

Contact details for the Tribunale Civile in Rome:
Tribunale Civile di Roma
Office for "Atti Notori"
Viale Giulio Cesare 54/B
1st floor, Room 86 - Tel: +39 063577 296+39 063577 296

Business Hours:
Morning: Monday to Friday : 9:00 to 13.00
Afternoon: Thursday 15:00 pm to 16:20

The person requesting the Atto Notorio must attend in person together with two adult witnesses. If either spouse or one of the witnesses does not speak Italian, it is necessary to provide an interpreter, in addition to the two witnesses.

N.B. Neither spouse can act as witness or interpreter.

Payment at the Tribunale Civile is made in the form of duty stamps which you should purchase in advance. The amount required is:

For an urgent certificate issued on the same day:
  • One duty stamp for the value of 14,62 Euros for the original Atto Notorio which will be kept by the Tribunale Civile
  • another 14,62 Euro duty stamp for your copy of the Atto Notorio and 3 duty stamps for the value of 6.20 euros each.
If the certificate is not urgent (to be collected after 5 days):
  • One duty stamp for the value of 14,62 Euros for the original Atto Notorio which will be kept by the Tribunale Civile
  • another 14,62 Euro duty stamp and 1 duty stamp for the value of 6.20 euro.


The first step is to bring the Atto Notorio and Nulla Osta to the Ufficio Matrimoni, or Marriage Office, in the Italian city where you plan to marry.

If one or more of the parties is Italian or is an Australian with Italian residency, then Banns (pubblicazione di matrimonio) must be posted for at least two weeks before the date of the marriage.

For further information, please contact the Australian Embassy in Rome on 06/8527224606/85272246
(email: & website;

Australian Embassy - Rome
Consular Section
Fax: 0685272300
Ph. 0685272299

The above information is provided by the Consular Section of the Australian Embassy in Rome for the convenience of enquirers, but neither the Australian Government nor the Embassy can take any responsibility whatsoever in regard to the consequences of using the above information.
Specifics For Canadia Citizens

Italian law requires EACH non-Italian wishing to be married in Italy to present a "Nulla Osta" (Certificate of non-Impediment) or equivalent documentation.
The Canadian Government does not issue "Nulla Osta". However, to assist Canadians to meet the Italian requirements, the Canadian Embassy in Rome issues a declaration containing the relevant information.

Requests for the declaration can be made by appointment or by mail. Our delivery service standards are 5 business days from the time we receive a complete application.

Obtaining a Declaration (Nulla Osta) from the Embassy in Rome

You must first complete and swear an affidavit to the effect that there is no impediment to the proposed marriage. You may swear the affidavit in Canada or at the Canadian Embassy in Rome upon appointment. by e-mail or fax to request an appointment.

Each Canadian Citizen must:
  • Complete and swear an affidavit
  • The affidavit may be sworn:
    1. In Canada in front of a Canadian Notary
    2. In Italy at the Embassy of Canada in Rome
    3. Abroad at any Embassy, Consulate or Honorary Consulate of Canada
  • Submit the sworn affidavitto the Embassy of Canada in Rome together with the following supporting documents in person or by mail:
    1. Certified true copy of his/her own valid Canadian passport
    2. Proof of Canadian Citizenship:
      for persons born in Canada, original or certified copy of the long format birth certificate which includes information on the parents
      for persons born outside of Canada, original or certified copy of the Certificate of Canadian citizenship
    3. Original or certified true copy of a marriage record search issued by the Vital Statistics office of each Canadian province and/or territory where he/she resided since reaching the age of 16
    4. Original or certified copy of a final divorce certificate or decree (if divorced)
    5. Original or certified copy of a deceased spouses death certificate(if widowed)
    6. Certified copy of the fianc(e)s valid passport
    7. Copy of the consular processing fee payment receipt or payment in person
    8. Mailing/pick-up instructions (mailing is done by registered post to a Canadian or Italian address at no additional cost)
Please note: If you and your fianc(e) are both Canadian citizens, you will each need to swear an affidavit and obtain separate declarations.

Fees are payable for each declaration and for each affidavit, if sworn at the Embassy.

The fees are non-refundable. For more information, please see Fees and Method of Payment

Where do I submit the application?

By mail or courier:

Embassy of Canada
Consular Affairs (LN)
Via Zara, 30
00198 Rome

In person: same as above, Monday to Friday from 09:00 to noon

What to Do After Obtaining the Declaration
  • Present the declaration to the competent "Prefettura - Ufficio Legalizzazioni" (provincial authority) to be formally authenticated. The Prefettura in Rome is located at: Via Ostiense n.131/L, 2nd floor, tel. 06-6710694806-67106948. Typically the office is open from Monday, Wednesday and Friday - 9:00 - 12:00. Before going to the Prefettura, you will need to purchase a revenue stamp (marca da bollo) which costs € 14,62 (approximately) at any Tabacchino/Tabaccaio (tobacco store) for each document you received from the Embassy/Consulate
  • After it has been authenticated, you must present it to the Marriage Office of the Municipality in Italy. Banns are waived if neither party is Italian nor residing in Italy.
  • The Municipal authorities will request the couple to return (usually in 2 or 3 days) with 2 witnesses PLUS an interpreter (if one or both parties are not familiar with the Italian language) to execute a declaration before the "Ufficiale dello Stato Civile" (Registrar of Vital Statistics) of the Municipality. Arrangements are then concluded and a date is scheduled for the civil marriage ceremony. Two witnesses PLUS an interpreter (if necessary) must be present at the civil marriage ceremony.

    Although the Italian authorities usually extend assistance to foreigners wishing to marry in Italy, a date for a civil marriage ceremony is generally NOT scheduled unless the above- mentioned declaration (see point 3) has first been executed by the couple.

    The waiting period (from the date the required documents are presented to the marriage office to the date of the civil marriage ceremony) may vary depending on the period of the year and on the number of requests received by the municipality.

    Some municipalities levy marriage fees for non-residents.
Please note: Until recently, a woman whose previous marriage was terminated within the last 300 days had to obtain a waiver from the competent "Procura della Repubblica" (Court) in Italy in order to marry in Italy. Depending on the locality, this law may no longer apply. You are advised to check with the Comune where you wish to marry.

The Canadian Embassy in Rome cannot assist with marriage arrangements. If you or a delegated person are unable to make the necessary arrangements with the local Municipality, you may wish to contact an agency to assist you.
Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany,Greece, Ireland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Norway, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Czech Republic, the Republic of Moldova, Romania, Serbia-Montenegro, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey

Note: some town-halls are unaware of detailed marriage regulations for certain countries - it is important you check with us first.

Citizens of countries taking part in the Monaco Convention of 05/09/1980, must present a Certificate of legal capacity to marry issued by the Civil Status Office of the city of residence (membership) in the country of origin (no need for legalization).

Most other countries require one of the following:
  • A CNI (certificate of No Impediment to marriage) issued by your embassy or consulate in Italy AND authenticated by the Italian government office local to that embassy or consulate.
  • An authenticated CNI (certificate of no impediment to marriage) issues by your nearest Italian embassy or consulate. This certificate will be authenticated by the embassy/consulate.

Two Hour No-Hassle Approval
We have arrangements with a few towns in Italy that will offer a expedited approval - this is good citizens of countries that issue Nulla osta certificates at their consulates  -  e.g., the US consulates.   Click on link above.