Wedding Tuscany Costs - Music

Ceremony -  Solo Violinist €  375
Ceremony - Violin & Cello €  650
Ceremony - Professional Soloist + keyboard €  650
Ceremony - Violin, Cello & keyboard € 1000
Ceremony -Violin, Cello & keyboard & Singer € 1200
Ceremony - Violin, Cello, Flute & Keyboard € 1200
Ceremony + Aperitif
solo violinist - 2 hours (at same location, e.g., Castel il Palagio)
€  500
Ceremony + Aperitif
 violin & cello - 2 hours (at same location, e.g., Castel il Palagio)
€  875
Ceremony + Aperitif 
violin & cellist - 3 hours incl travel time (2 different locations, e.g., Abbey di San Galgano for ceremony & Tenuta di Papena where Reception takes place) 
€ 1000
DJ with powerful sound system 
€  950
Bands - starting at  € 1800 
Others by quote  

SIAE and Music at Weddings and Events in Italy:
  • Understand the role of the SIAE when planning an event with live or recorded music and dancing, such as a wedding, a launch or a party. The Società Italiana degli Autori ed Editori (SIAE) is an organization which collects the revenues due for the use of works protected by copyright, and redistributes this to the rightful owners (autori) and their publishers (editori).
  • Anyone who uses copies of works protected by copyright in any form of entertainment must obtain prior authorization from the holders of the rights (Act April 22, 1941, n. 633). This covers any instance where pre-recorded music is played or live music performed, and includes the use of copyright-protected music at weddings and corporate events.
  • Law protects intellectual property until 70 years after the death of the last author. For example, royalties are not required to perform a piece by Beethoven, but to perform Fly Me to the Moon rights will need to be paid to the heirs of the author (Bart Howard) until 2074.
  • The fees required for copyright may not be treated as tax or duty but as the remuneration for work done by the creators of intellectual works. The mis-use of the works is considered a criminal offense under Italian law.
Who Pays the SIAE?
  • In the case of weddings, the couples are considered the event "organizers", although the management of a venue may have some responsibility. However, the wedding planners, musicians, catering company and others involved in the event are not responsible. The permit must be paid in advance (if only by the day before the event).
  • Some event venues have agreements with the SIAE, particularly for the pre-recorded music used; although this generally does not cover music played by DJs or musicians performing.
Getting a SIAE Permit
  • The SIAE office closest to the venue where the event is to take place has competent jurisdiction OR you can apply on line and get one and pay for it with your credit card. (this seems to be the more preferred way of getting the permit)
How to buy an SIAE permit
  • When applying for an application for a permit on line, the organizer is asked to declare the location, number of guests and whether there is to be dancing.
The bordereau
  • Together with the SIAE permit, the organizer receives a form commonly called a borderò or bordereau (music programme) that must be completed by the performer with all the songs performed in totality or in part. This form must be requested when applying and must be sent back to the SIAE office in the days following the event. If you are not in the area after the wedding, ask your wedding planner to do this for you.
Note: Organizers should ensure that the musician (or musicians) are members of the ENPALS (Ente Nazionale di Previdenza e di Assistenza per i Lavoratori dello Spettacolo e Dello Sport Professionistico) the national welfare and assistance company for workers in the performing arts, or a similar organization.